Saturday 15 September 2012

2012-09-14 Get Home Ittis

Almost a race.

With the decision by half of us to leave Friday, the draw from home must have been very strong.  Rene and Kent pulled out at 5:58am.  I said hi to Rene on the driveway as I was carrying out my bags - he turned and said hi - then walked to his truck and they were gone.......

I saw Harold and Handre loading Jim's van - so we said our "good bye's".

I pulled out at about 6:02, went to McDonalds for an Egg McMuffin and my morning tea.  I was on the highway by 6:15am.

Three hours later, even though I was travelling somewhat over the speed limit, the big van, with all the boards  bouncing along on top, pulled past me.  Harold A was waving smugly....  They turned off at the Boardman Turnoff - taking the "short cut".

I called Kent and learned that he and Rene were having breakfast at the "Jack in the Box" at Kinniwick, so I stopped there to meet up with them and also get fuel.

As I was entering the restaurant, the Big Van passed on the highway.  I guess the "short cut" - wasn't....

Our next stop was Coeur d'Alenewhere we filled up with gas.  No sign of the Big Van....  Wait...  There he was filling up with gas as we passed....

At Bonners Ferry we stopped again and bought lunch at Safeway.  The Big Van pulled in just behind us.  Jim was obviously in a rush, so while Kent, Rene and I enjoyed a sandwich on the patio - Jim quickly herded his people into the van so he could be off again.

Kent made the comment that no one could argue the point that today Big Air Jim was passing everyone!

After stopping again at Nanton for supper at the subway, I lost Rene and Kent.  Rene was driving with his new Radar Detector, and I just didn't want to fly through the construction and speed zones in Calgary.

To ensure that Jim would get home first - Jim even called to give us bogus information about a supposed speed trap around Innisfail.


No question - Jim and the guy's got home first!  Way to go Jim, Harold and Handre!

Most important - everyone is home safe.....

Hope the other guy's got some wind on the last few days.

Looking forward to June!

Ted


No comments:

Post a Comment